Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thoughts on my elementary school gym teacher.

If only physical education classes in elementary, middle & high school had been enjoyable the way my time at the YMCA now is. I love going to the gym because it is a friendly, healthy, positive environment where no one makes anyone else feel inferior or incompetent and everyone is happy to encourage everyone else along their journey. In elementary school, I learned from the get-go that phys ed was going to be a shitty situation for me. The teacher constantly singled me out for being overweight and made me feel embarrassed that I could not run as fast as the other kids. Not once did she ever try to actually get me excited or enthusiastic about exercise. Quite the opposite. By high school I was a pro at finding ways to get out of gym class. I remember the last day of my freshman year when I realized I would never be forced to go to another gym class again in my life, I felt like dropping to my knees and thanking baby jesus. The YMCA now is such a great experience for me. Who would have ever thought I would actually LOVE being in that gymnasium, sweating my ass off, grinning widely while running back and forth across the gym doing drills...yeah that's me. In your face, stupid elementary school gym teacher, you old hag.

No comments:

Post a Comment